A UK firm was fined after it was discovered that workers were exposed to asbestos without being informed of the hazardous material so that proper precautions could be taken:
Eastern Regional Shopfitters was prosecuted after it ignored a report of asbestos in a shop it was working on. Despite the report, the firm had let two workers spend five days ripping out old fittings, without informing them of the hazard. Three of the centre?s management staff were also potentially exposed to the fibres.
The firm admitted three breaches of asbestos regulations and one of the healthy and safety Act. It was fined